The Macon Water Authority
790 Second Street • Macon, GA 31202-0108 • (478) 464-5600
Fishing at Javors Lucas Lake
2015 Public Fishing Season Schedule
The Macon Water Authority (MWA) continues to provide opportunities for public education and recreation at its facilities, including public fishing on the Authority's drinking water reservoir -- Javors Lucas Lake.
There were two minor changes to the public fishing schedule this year, both impacting the fall months, when compared to the schedule last year. During the months of September and October, the reservoir will be open only two days per week -- Saturdays and Sundays (and not Fridays) -- and open an hour later at 7:00 a.m. (rather than 6:00 a.m.) and close an hour later at 4:00 p.m. (rather than 3:00 p.m.), due to decreased public participation in fishing at the lake during these months.
Thus, the 2015 public fishing season schedule at the Authority's Javors Lucas Lake is as follows:
* Fishing season begins on Friday, March 6, 2015.
* Beginning Friday, March 6, and extending through Sunday, April 26, 2015, Javors Lucas Lake will be open for fishing three days per week on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
* From Friday, May 1, through Sunday, June 28, 2015, Javors Lucas Lake will be open for fishing three days per week on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, but from 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
* Fishing will NOT be available on Monday, May 25, 2015, for the Memorial Day Holiday.
* The Lake will be closed for public fishing during the months of July and August, but will re-open on Saturday, September 5, 2015.
* Javors Lucas Lake will NOT be open on Independence Day (Saturday, July 4), nor on Labor Day (Monday, September, 7) this year.
* From Saturday, September 5, through Sunday, October 25, 2015, Javors Lucas Lake will re-open, but for two days per week on Saturdays and Sundays, from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
* Sunday, October 25th will be the last day of public fishing on Javors Lucas Lake during 2015.
* The Lake will be closed for public fishing and boating during the months of November and December, 2015, as well as during the months of January and February, 2016.
Kids Fishing Derby is Saturday June 13
The 2015 MWA Kids Fishing Derby will be held at Javors Lucas Lake on Saturday June 13, from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Weigh-ins for the competition will close at 10:30 a.m., when a snack lunch will be served. Prizes will be awarded at 11:30 a.m. to conclude the event.
The premier sponsor of this 10th annual MWA Kids Fishing Derby once again is Academy Sports + Outdoors. Admission to the event is free, but adults should be accompanied by a participating youth in order to fish. The Derby is held on one of the few days during the year the state Department of Natural Resources allows fishing on Georgia waters without a permit. Those attending the Fishing Derby should bring their own fishing poles and accessories, including bait and tackle.
Javors Lucas Lake was dedicated on November of 2006 to honor current MWA Board Member Javors J. Lucas, who has served the Authority for more than 30 years. The MWA drinking water reservoir holds an estimated 5.8 billion gallons of water at normal full pool, providing the ideal habitat for a variety of fish, including bream, bass, and catfish.
Fishing tournaments are welcomed at Javors Lucas Lake, which is an ideal setting for area groups or organizations to host special events. However, individuals with groups fishing during a scheduled tournament must adhere to all rules and regulations governing the use of Javors Lucas Lake and Georgia Public Waters (provided in the "Rules and Regulations" link below). And groups requesting that Javors Lucas Lake open early for scheduled events must coordinate those logistics and pay for the security necessary to accommodate such a request.
For details on MWA Public Fishing Rates, Rules and Regulations, as well as for Directions to Javors Lucas Lake, check out the following links:
For more information on fishing at Javors Lucas Lake, contact:
Gary J. McCoy, MWA Director of Water Operations
Amerson Water Plant/Fishing Season Phone Number: 478-464-5650.
Macon Water Authority
790 Second St.
P.O. Box 108
Macon, GA 31202-0108
- (478) 464-5600
- (478) 741-9146